Thursday, February 9, 2012

Javascript Tools for Neuroscience

MATLAB,C, and Python are, in my experience, the programming languages of choice in computational neuroscience. They, however, lack the capability for dynamic visualization that Javascript, Julia, or Mathematica allow. By dynamic visualization I mean the ability to alter, in real-time, the data and see how the results of analyses change. This is useful not only for teaching the methods but also for the type of interactive simulation that, I feel, does the most for designing experiments. Of those latter three languages, Javascript is the most widely supported and, perhaps, familiar.

In the coming weeks you will find versions of neuroTools.js available for download in the code section of my website. In the courses and notes section you will example visualization to explain the data analysis methods I use.

I'll begin with the interspike interval distance (ISI-D), Granger causality, Causal State Splitting Reconstruction, and Lempel-Ziv complexity.

I greatly appreciate any constructive feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment